You can file your taxes faster by e-filing them online. See why e-file is the fastest way to file your tax return.
How much does E-file cost?
E-file.com offers three prices tiers depending upon the software that best fits your specific needs:
- Free Federal Software, $0 - Single or joint filers who are filing basic, straightforward tax returns
- Deluxe Software, $24.99 - For those filing with dependents/those who want to deduct mortgage interest or claim retirement income.
- Premium Software, $45.95 - For those who are filing complex tax returns for personal or business income.
How do I file my tax return for free at E-file.com?
If you're like many people and qualify to file with a 1040EZ (the shortest, simplest IRS tax return form), you can file your federal return at E-file.com completely free of charge. To qualify, you need to meet specific criteria such as:
- Your taxable income is less than $100,000, your filing status is single or, if you're married, you're going to be filing jointly with your spouse and you don't have any dependents to claim.
- The income you're filing taxes for are only from wages, salaries, tips, unemployment compensation, taxable scholarships, fellowship grants and your taxable interest didn't exceed $1,500.
- You're not going to claim any income adjustments such as a tax deferred 401K or IRA.
Is E-filing safe?
More than a million tax filers have trusted E-file.com with their returns, and we protect our users' data and privacy. E-file.com does not sell your information to third parties.
Around 90 percent of all Americans file their taxes online. In 2017, Inc. Magazine featured E-file.com as one the top 100 fastest growing privately held companies in America. Technological advances in online safety and security have made e-filing a more popular option than paper-based filing.
How long does it take to file?
Once you create an account, it can take less than 15 minutes to file your free return. More complex tax returns will likely take longer, but E-file makes the process so efficient that filers can accomplish, in short amounts of time, what used to take hours. Regardless of whether your tax return is simple, complex, or somewhere in between, you can take as much time as you need, working at your own pace, saving and returning to your return at any time so you don't have to complete it in a single session.
How does it work if I want to also file my state taxes?
You can file your federal and state taxes at the same time (if you live in a state that levies an income tax). If you choose to include state taxes, regardless of what level of software you use to file your federal taxes, the cost is only $19 when you apply the coupon code, SAVE24.
How do I select the software I want?
Once you complete your tax return at E-file's online system, you'll be prompted to enter payment information, provided you've upgraded from Free Federal filing. We deliberately designed our system this way to put the control in your hands so you can feel confident about moving forward.
In other words, you could walk yourself through every step of your tax return and then — should you change your mind about filing — you wouldn't be out a single penny.